Next week we will be learning how to double and half numbers.
Please support your child’s learning by doing some fun doubling and halving activities at home. This will help develop a deeper understanding and make links from what is learnt in the classroom to home. Here are some ideas:
- When eating, half the items on your plate into two piles, count the items on each side of the plate.
- Share sweets between two people – How many have you each? How many altogether?
- When shopping – I need double that amount? Use money when doubling and halving.
- Quick fire double and halving – say we are going to double the number. Say a number 1-10 – child calls back the double, try different numbers at speed. Repeat with halving numbers.
- When cooking. e.g. I have two eggs, I need double that amount, show child how to double.
- When sharing a family meal. e.g. A pizza – I am going to half the pizza, 1 + 1 = 2, I’m going to half it again, 2 + 2 = 4
Please note at this stage halving will be taught by sharing rather than using division.